OAK ORCHARD COMMUNITY HEALTH CENTER JOB DESCRIPTION
Title: Community Health Worker - Office
Department/Location: Outreach : Albion, Brockport, Lyndonville, Hornell, Warsaw
Position Summary: Community Health Worker - Office
· Maintains strict confidentiality sharing information with appropriate staff, following HIPAA guidelines and Center Policies and Procedures for release of information in the various internal and external agencies with whom you are working.
· Primary responsibility is to provide written and verbal translation/interpretation for Spanish speaking non English proficient patients within in the health center and within the community for health related issues, including area migrant sites.
· Assist Spanish speaking, low literacy, and elderly patient to navigate the health care sytem.
· Able to work at different OOH sites as assigned by the OutreachManager
· Assists the target population to obtain health and secondary services. Serves as a liaison with professional and paraprofessional people and agencies acting as an advocate for individuals with unmet needs.
· Transport referred patients and/or arranges transportation, to appointments at the Center or other agencies using the Health Center vans, when no other transportation is available and when requested in advance.
· Acuratly and completely documents all activities in the patient’s Electronic Medical Record (EMR) in a timely fashion.
· Documentation must include all pertinent information including phone numbers and addresses for referrals, appointment dates and times, etc.
· When translating at another site – documentation needs to include services rendered in detail.
· Tracks and follows patients using the EMR. I.E. No show appointments at the Center and with Specialists.
· Follow up on referrals to completion.
E. Health Education:
· Works with patients and community agencies to increase awareness of health promotion and disease prevention programs. Develops effective working relationships to reduce barriers in the community for at risk patients.
· Facilitates the necessary patient education based on each patient's diagnosis, and disease management as determined by the provider and/or outreach staff. I.e. Teach patients how to use glucometer, keep accurate daily glucose test logs, and monitor medications.
· Identify any barriers patient may have such as low level reading and/or illiteracy, and work to reduce these barriers. Provides low literacy educational materials, verbal communication and/or visual education in patient’s language of choice if possible.
F. Community Health Work:
· Assists eligible patients to enroll in internal and external financial health plans I.E. Medicaid, Medicare, Child Health Plus, WIC, Sliding Fee, and Charity Care Programs either at the center or by referral to participating health plan enroller.
· Assists patients with prescriptions renewals and refills, utilizing local pharmacy prescription programs.
· Refers patients to community agencies to assist with basic needs such as food, clothing, and shelter.
· Assists patient to find the most cost effective specialty care available.
· Schedules and confirms appointments for OOH patients, addressing transportation issues to assure attendance of appointments at OOH and at Specialty Care Sites.
· Communicates with patients by phone, letter, office / home visits, as needed to identify barriers regarding their health care management.
· Makes home visits to follow-up on doctor's instructions with patients to check on understanding and compliance and at the request of the county public health/visiting nurse as assigned.
· Assissts Case Manager to follow up on caseload and communicate with patients.
· Tracks patients leaving the area to assist with finding care at their new location and for follow up next season.
· Assists the field team with paperwork, field prep, and computer scheduling.
· Assists with training of new employees.
· Learns all aspects of the department to facilitate communication and teamwork.
All other duties as assigned by supervisor.
· Represents the Center and medical support staff to the community by attending meetings as assigned.
· Participates in other projects and activities as assigned.
· Maintains a safe clean orderly work area.
· Adheres to personnel policies.
· Performs other duties as assigned.
· Indicates commitment to organizational values:
· Teamwork – A group working together to achieve a common goal or purpose.
· Respect – Valuing each other’s honor and dignity.
· Commitment – Dedication to remain loyal to our philosophy, values and mission.
· Diversity – To understand, appreciate, and accept differences and empower others to grow and contribute to the fullest potential.
· Pursuit of Excellence – To strive personally and organizationally to achieve the ultimate perfection through innovation, quality, and persistence.
· Community – People sharing their life through interaction and support of each other to create a better future.
· Bilingual – Spanish and English
· Current New York State driver’s license required
· High School Diploma or GED required
· Education/certification in Human Services or health related field preferred (comparable experience will be considered)
· Computer literacy and experience using spreadsheets, word processing and a database.
· Flexibility in scheduled hours and work sites, some weekend hours may be needed.
· Travel throughout our five county catchment areas and periodic travel within New York State.
· Prior experience in related health care field.
· Excellent customer, provider, and patient relations required
· Excellent telephone communication in both English and Spanish required
Interested applicants please send Cover letter, CV or Resume to JGrunert@oochc.org
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee incumbent in this position. The employee will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments.
Oak Orchard Health is an equal opportunity provider and employer.