Oak Orchard Community Health Center Job Description
Job Title: WIC Breastfeeding Peer Counselor
A WIC Breastfeeding Peer Counselor is a paraprofessional support person who gives basic breastfeeding information and encouragement to WIC pregnant and breastfeeding mothers.
- Attends breastfeeding training classes to become a peer counselor
- Receives a caseload of WIC mothers and makes routine periodic contacts with all mothers assigned.
- Gives basic breastfeeding information and support to new mothers, including telling them about the benefits of breastfeeding overcoming common barriers, and getting a good start with breastfeeding. She also helps mothers prevent and handle common breastfeeding concerns.
- Counsels WIC prenatal and breastfeeding mothers in the WIC clinic and by telephone, home visits and/or hospital visits at scheduled intervals determined by the local WIC Program. Can make these contacts outside the normal WIC office hours as needed.
- Responds to WIC mothers who contact her as soon as possible, within 24 hours at most, utilizing the cell phone or office phone provided by the employer.
- Respects each mother by keeping her information strictly confidential.
- Keeps accurate records of all contacts made with WIC mothers.
- Refers mothers, with concerns outside of her scope of practice, to:
- WIC Nutritionist or Breastfeeding Coordinator
- Lactation consultant
- Healthcare providers
- Community agencies and programs
- Attends and assists with or leads prenatal classes, facilitated group discussions, and breastfeeding support groups as offered.
- Attends monthly staff meetings and breastfeeding conferences/workshops as appropriate.
- Reads assigned books and materials on breastfeeding that are provided by her supervisor.
- May assist WIC staff in promoting breastfeeding peer counseling through special projects and duties as assigned.
- May deliver and educate on breast pumps, after assessment by Breastfeeding Coordinator a Qualified Nutritionist or Competent Professional Authority and provide education and follow-up under the guidance of the Breastfeeding Coordinator.
- Completes mandatory trainings and reads mandatory policies as required by Oak Orchard Health Center.
- May participate in Outreach and Public Health Detailing as assigned.
- Complies with all New York State WIC Program and Oak Orchard Health Center policies.
Organization Wide Responsibilities:
- Participate in Center efforts to provide the highest quality patient care to all segments of the communities served by the Health Center.
- Adherence to Organization and Personnel Policies
- Adherence to Confidentiality Policies
- Adherence to Attendance Policies. This position requires flexibility in schedule. Some evenings and weekends may be required.
Indicates a commitment to Organizational values:
Teamwork-A group working together to achieve a common goal or purpose.
Respect- Valuing each other’s honor and dignity.
Commitment- Dedication to remain loyal to our philosophy, values and mission.
Diversity- To understand appreciate and accept differences and empower others and allows us to grow and contribute to the fullest potential.
Pursuit of Excellence- To strive personally and organizationally to achieve the ultimate perfection through innovation, quality, and persistence.
Community- People sharing their life through interaction and support of each other to create a better future.
- Has breastfed at least one baby (does not have to be currently breastfeeding).
- Is enthusiastic about breastfeeding and wants to help other mothers enjoy a positive experience.
- Can work 16 hours per week, with 12-14 hours weekly in the WIC office. This is a per diem position and requires flexibility in schedule. Some evenings and weekends may be required.
- Is able to work from home.
- Has reliable transportation. Car and valid Driver’s license required. Must maintain vehicle insurance. Car must be registered in New York State and maintain minimum requirement, by law, to have liability insurance.
- Has good organizational skills, enabling her to manage her assigned caseload, keep track of her scheduled clinic hours, meetings, and trainings, and meet deadlines.
- Current or previous WIC participants are preferred.
- Is committed to creating a positive team environment and being a good team member.
- Optional: Bilingual in English and another relevant language.
- Attends a series of breastfeeding classes based on New York State Peer counseling Curriculum.
- Observes other peer counselors or breastfeeding experts helping mothers breastfeed.
- Reads assigned books or materials about breastfeeding.
Interested applicants please send Cover letter, CV or Resume to JGrunert@oochc.org
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee incumbent in this position. The employee will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments.
Oak Orchard Health is an equal opportunity provider and employer.